Beverley and Holderness MP joins calls to save Molescroft Surgery

beverley centre

Published: Thursday 18th June 2015 by KCFM

Comments (1)

MP Graham Stuart has criticised NHS England for its response to the potential closure of Molescroft surgery in Beverley.

The practice may be forced to close at the end of the month due to budget cuts, but an alternative care provider hasn’t yet been confirmed.

Around 2,600 people could be left without a GP if a solution isn’t found.

NHS England says it’s hopeful that arrangements can be made, but MP Graham Stuart says his constituents need firm answers.

In a statement, the MP for Beverley and Holderness said:

“Dr Clayton at Molescroft Surgery in Beverley is a caring and highly thought of GP and I know from what my constituents have told me that he will be greatly missed when he retires at the end of this month.

“However, the lack of communications from NHS England about what high-quality GP provision will be put in place at Molescroft Surgery from 1 July is simply not good enough. It’s leaving patients scared about who will be looking after them and that’s entirely understandable.

“As soon as I became aware last month that Dr Clayton would be stepping down I was immediately on the phone to NHS England to find out what they were going to do about it. The lack of answers from them to not only me but most importantly to the patients of the Surgery is simply not good enough.

“It is unacceptable that those who depend on the GP at Molescroft are being left high and dry by NHS England and I continue to press them daily on what the future holds. Today NHS England say they hope to have new GPs in place in the Surgery on 1 July; clearly, “hope” is not good enough and I have contacted them again today to tell them that the patients need firm answers, not hope.”

In a statement, Julie Warren, Locality Director, NHS England (North Yorkshire and Humber) said;

“We have been meeting with Dr Clayton regularly since January this year to agree a solution for the future of the surgery and have discussed a number of options.

“A number of potential service providers have expressed an interest in joining Dr Clayton in his contract with NHS England (Yorkshire and Humber). Discussions are progressing with a local service provider and we are hopeful arrangements can be finalised before the end of the month.

“NHS England (Yorkshire and Humber) are committed to ensuring the highest quality primary care for patients and we are working closely with the practice  to ensure there is no disruption to services for patients. We will also ensure patients are informed once arrangements have been finalised.”

article provided by KCFM banner 2

Published: Thursday 18th June 2015 by KCFM

Comments (1)
  • A patient

    Dr Clayton isn’t stepping down due to retirement. He is being pushed
    into a decision due to the cuts being forced on him set out by
    government policy to NHS England. He has been left no choice in the
    matter as to whether to continue providing a much needed service. Sign
    the petition, help save this surgery and others GPs who will be in the
    same predicament.

Local business search