Flood defence work in Hull begins

p8068P-5b925bb0-2f11-4df9-a454-5d39b0638ec8

Published: Thursday 13th November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Construction has begun on a metre-high wall to protect up to 300 Hull homes from the risk of flooding.

The flood defence project will see the wall span nearly 1km (0.6 miles) along Albert Dock, which last year suffered flooding following a tidal surge in the city on December 5.

Project manager Peter Toms said planning had included close work and ties with Hull City Council, Associated British Ports and the Local Enterprise Partnership, which he praised for their “excellent support”.

As part of the scheme, which is costing around £6 million, a further 600 metres of defences at the Port of Hull will be built, with work to repair a disused and ruined culvert also taking place.

The Environment Agency said work at the Albert Dock is due to be completed in June next year.

Copyright Press Association 2014

Published: Thursday 13th November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search