Hull Royal Infirmary and Castle Hill Hospital hit with Norovirus

Hull_Royal_Infirmary

Published: Tuesday 31st March 2015 by KCFM

Comments (0)

The hospitals have had to close several wards and restrict access due to outbreaks of vomiting and diarrhoea.

People showing signs of the Norovirus are being asked to stay away from hospitals, until they’ve been symptom-free for at least 48 hours, to reduce the risk of passing the virus on to others.

Ward 21 at Castle Hill Hospital in Cottingham is closed, and three wards at Hull Royal Infirmary have bays with restricted access.

Jacqueline Myers, Chief Operation Officer for Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust says:

“It’s not unusual for us to see outbreaks of gastroenteritis, including Norovirus, at this time of year. Unfortunately, bugs like these can spread quickly and easily when you have a number of people in close proximity, such as on a hospital ward.

“Healthy people who suffer from Norovirus or other vomiting bugs are generally able to shake them off within a day or two, but for people who already need hospital care, who may be frail or more vulnerable to infection, catching something like this on top of an existing health problem can be particularly dangerous.

“To try and limit the spread of such bugs to our patients and staff, we would like to ask anyone who has been experiencing sickness and / or diarrhoea to use their common sense and to stay away from hospital until they have been symptom free for at least 48 hours.”

The rise in cases of ward-based sickness, including diarrhoea and vomiting, is adding to the ongoing pressures faced by the Trust, temporarily restricting the movement of some patients and reducing the hospitals capacity for new admissions.

A spokesman for Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust says:

“The Trust experienced a much higher number of medical admissions on Sunday than would normally be expected. Since then, we have been working very hard to care for those patients in addition to the people presenting at hospital and being admitted both yesterday and today. For a short period on Monday, it was necessary to divert ambulances to other nearby hospitals to maintain a safe level of care for patients on the Hull Royal Infirmary site. The diversion has since been lifted, however the Trust remains under a significant amount of pressure, and this is being compounded by ward restrictions as a result of diarrhoea and vomiting outbreaks.

“Members of the public are asked for their help in using alternatives to A&E, such as GP surgeries and walk-in centres, wherever possible, and staying away from hospital if they have experienced any D&V type symptoms in the last 48 hours.”

article provided by KCFM banner 2

Published: Tuesday 31st March 2015 by KCFM

Comments (0)

Local business search