Late Logan brace sinks Leeds

Published: Saturday 13th September 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Youngster Jack Logan was the hero with two late tries as Hull FC produced a stunning fightback to beat Leeds Rhinos 24-19 and finish their First Utility Super League season in style.

Leeds looked on course to end a run of four straight league defeats after taking a 19-4 lead just before the hour mark but the Airlie Birds came roaring back to ensure the Rhinos head into next weekend’s play-off meeting with Catalan Dragons smarting from another loss.

Carl Ablett was the star of the first half – denying Richard Horne on his 387th and final appearance for the Black and Whites before going over himself to cancel out Tom Lineham’s 16th-minute opener.

Leeds lifted their game after the restart as Danny McGuire, returning from injury alongside Rob Burrow, scored a trademark try and Ryan Hall displayed his strength to score his 200th career touchdown.

Ex-Leeds forward Gareth Ellis reduced the arrears and then laid on a try for Fetuli Talanoa as the Airlie Birds’ comeback gathered momentum.

Logan ensured a nervy final 10 minutes for the Rhinos and the pressure proved too much as the 19-year-old centre won it for Hull.

Moments of quality were few and far between during a dire first half.

Hall tried his best to inject some life into proceedings when he collected Kevin Sinfield’s kick and quickly fed Ablett, only for the back-rower’s return pass to fall into Hull hands.

Zak Hardaker lost the ball in contact in his own 10 metres soon after and he was duly punished as Logan picked up and gave Lineham a simple score in the corner.

The Rhinos would have hit back immediately but for a brilliant tackle by Talanoa after Sinfield had found a gap from a scrum move and sent Kallum Watkins racing away.

Then came a moment which the Hull faithful had been waiting for, Horne with open field in front of him and with the line at his mercy. Ablett did not read the script and chased the half-back from deep inside his own half before executing a perfectly-timed ankle tap close to his own line.

The England man made a vital contribution at the other end three minutes from the break, taking a pass from Burrow 10 metres out and powering his way over.

Sinfield landed the conversion and slotted over a drop goal on the hooter to give Leeds a three-point cushion at the break.

McGuire is regarded as one of the best support players in rugby league and he was on hand to finish off after Watkins had pounced on a loose ball and raced downfield just after half-time.

Sinfield added the extras but was off target soon after when he chose to go for goal from a penalty given for a high shot on Burrow.

The miss did not prove costly as Leeds crossed a couple of sets later after quick hands from McGuire and Liam Sutcliffe created the space for Hall to finish in the corner.

Hull needed to score quickly and they did through Ellis, who hacked on a Kirk Yeaman grubber kick with his knee before pouncing on the loose ball.

Ellis then turned provider with an offload to Talanoa close to the Leeds line and the Hull fans raised the volume inside the KC Stadium sensing a memorable fightback, which was well and truly on when Logan took Lineham’s pass to score.

Rankin sent over his first conversion at the fourth attempt to make it a one-point game.

Hull kept pushing roared on by their vociferous supporters and they got a moment to savour as Logan slid over in the corner.

Copyright Press Association 2014

Published: Saturday 13th September 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search