Business as usual for McCoist


Published: Monday 15th December 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Ally McCoist was acting like it was business as normal on Monday morning – despite Rangers confirming the Ibrox boss had handed in his notice.

The 52-year-old arrived at the Light Blues’ Murray Park training ground shortly before 9am and was later seen putting his players through their paces.

But that came after the club’s board announced to the Stock Exchange that the manager was ready to quit.

Three days after the news that McCoist was ready to walk away was leaked to the media, a 7am statement confirmed he had tendered his resignation.

A 12-month notice period has been triggered, with the club saying they will now hold talks with their record scorer.

Reports over the weekend suggested McCoist was quitting in a bid to shift the focus away from his performance as boss and back on to the way the Glasgow giants are being run.

But the board hit back with their statement first thing on Monday morning.

Their four-sentence document – which even managed to spell the former Scotland striker’s name wrong – also revealed that McCoist’s salary would increase to £750,000 for the final year of his employment with the club.

It read: “The company announces that Alastair [sic] McCoist, manager of the first team squad, has resigned. His service contract dated December 28, 2010, which was subsequently amended, has a 12-month notice period (“Notice Period”).

“The directors will hold discussions with Mr McCoist to seek an amicable solution in the best interests of the company, and expect to be in a position to make a further announcement before the end of the week. During the notice period, Mr McCoist’s salary will increase significantly to GBP750,000 per annum.”

McCoist could only steer Rangers to defeat at Queen of the South on Friday night as he returned to the dug-out just hours after reports surfaced that he was ready to walk.

However, the Light Blues boss refused to talk about his future after the Palmerston calamity.

“I have absolutely no comment on rumours,” he said.

“I can’t have any bearing on speculation. I will deal with cold, hard facts. I think you know me well enough that I will give you an opinion on that. But I can’t comment on speculation.”

But when he was asked if he believed he would still be the Light Blues boss next season, McCoist – who was famously quoted saying he did “not do walking away” – said: “Absolutely. I’m the Rangers manager and that will hopefully be the case for the foreseeable future.

“I told the (players before the match) I was the Rangers manager and I would continue to be the Rangers manager.”

McCoist volunteered to take a 50 per cent wage cut in October last year but his salary will rise again following an agreement he struck with former chief executive Graham Wallace.

But that sum will put even more strain on the already cash-strapped club.

The club reported £8.3million losses last month and need to raise a similar amount before the end of the financial year if they are to stay afloat.

Billionaire Newcastle owner Mike Ashley – who holds a nine per cent stake in the Ibrox club – could yet have the final say on whether McCoist sees out his notice period.

McCoist took over at Rangers in 2011 and has been at the helm throughout their financial meltdown and subsequent attempts to return to the top.

Resent results, however, have done nothing the strengthen his hand while he battled the board.

His side had already lost important Scottish Championship fixtures to Hearts (twice) and Hibernian before Friday night’s Dumfries defeat. It leaves them nine points adrift of the Tynecastle leaders and with no hope of clinching automatic promotion.

The Petrofac Training Cup semi-final defeat to part-time Alloa was another mortifying moment for the club’s record scorer.

Published: Monday 15th December 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search