Carver to remain at Newcastle


Published: Monday 26th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Newcastle have confirmed John Carver has been appointed head coach for the rest of the season.

The 50-year-old is still searching for his first win since assuming the role in a caretaker capacity in the wake of Alan Pardew’s departure.

Carver will now get a chance to stake a claim for the job on a longer term basis after the Magpies’ hopes of a quick appointment were met with frustration.

Carver, who had made no secret of his desire to be appointed on a permanent basis, said: “This is a proud day for me.

“I have worked with, and learnt from, the best manager that this football club has had in Sir Bobby Robson. I know what this club means to this city and its people. I believe in my players and the staff I have around me.

“I am confident that we can deliver exciting successful football and look forward with relish to my role as head coach of this great football club.”

Newcastle managing director Lee Charnley admitted the club’s desire desire to appoint an immediate successor to Pardew had been met with frustration.

Charnley said: “At the beginning of this process it was my desire and intention to appoint an individual to the position of head coach who would be available to start immediately.

“Having now explored at some length the options available to us at this time, the decision has been taken to defer the appointment of a permanent head coach until the end of the season.

“The head coach will be a long-term appointment that will play a major role in shaping the future on-field progression of Newcastle United and it is vitally important that we get the right individual.

“John has a long history with the club and has the full support of the board. Our goal for the season of a minimum top ten finish remains unchanged and we are confident that John, supported by the backroom staff, will be able to deliver this.”

Many of those at the top of the Magpies’ short-list are either currently in employment or otherwise unavailable until the end of the season.

They include Derby boss Steve McClaren, whose odds are once again shortening despite him earlier having ruled himself out of the running for the job.

Ajax boss Frank de Boer, Christophe Galtier at St Etienne and Lyon’s Remi Garde are also considered front-runners in the race to replace Pardew.

Carver had made no secret of his desire to be handed the job on a permanent basis but would appear to need a significant improvement in the last 16 games of the season to stand a realistic chance of extending his reign at St James’s Park beyond May.

In his first game in charge on New Year’s Day, the Magpies lost the lead three times to draw 3-3 at home to Burnley, and they have lost all three subsequent matches under Carver.

They included an FA Cup third round exit at Leicester, after which Carver was roundly criticised for his team selection, although he insisted a host of top stars had been laid low by minor injuries.

Published: Monday 26th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search