Cech to make decision in summer


Published: Tuesday 24th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Petr Cech has no intention of remaining as Chelsea’s second choice goalkeeper and will make a decision on his future this summer.

After a decade as Chelsea’s first-choice goalkeeper, the 32-year-old Czech Republic international has been displaced as number one by Thibaut Courtois this season.

Cech has made four Premier League starts to Courtois’ 25 this term, but did play in the Capital One Cup final win over Tottenham at Wembley earlier this month in what could be interpreted as a show of thanks from manager Jose Mourinho.

“I don’t know what the club’s idea will be,” Cech told the website of Czech newspaper Idnes.

“It looks like it works well with me and Thibaut as a duo.

“But that can work for one season only. I don’t want another one like this.

“There always will be speculation. I leave it for the summer.

“It will be important to sit down with the club and with the manager to consider all the pros and cons. We will see what will work out the best.”

Cech has been linked with a host of clubs, including Real Madrid, Paris St Germain and Arsenal.

Mourinho earlier this month insisted he would not stand in Cech’s way should he wish to leave at the end of the season.

But Cech’s status means a big fee will be required to prise him from Stamford Bridge as his contract does not expire until the end of next season.

“I don’t waste my time trying to persuade him, because I know nobody can persuade him,” Mourinho said.

“If he tells me he wants to leave, I will tell him my opinion and my opinion is one of the three best goalkeepers in the world. Huge money.”

Published: Tuesday 24th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search