Chase banned as Red Devils suffer

Published: Wednesday 8th April 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

In-form Salford have been dealt a double blow after key half-back Rangi Chase and back-rower Weller Hauraki were banned for seven and four matches respectively.

Chase was one of the last players to appear before an independent disciplinary tribunal on a busy night at Red Hall as Red Devils fans held their breath.

The mercurial stand-off had contested the charge of making a grade E dangerous throw on former England team-mate Brett Ferres in Salford’s victory at Huddersfield on Good Friday, but he was found guilty by the panel.

The hefty ban should go some way to appeasing Giants head coach Paul Anderson, who had asked the Rugby Football League to “throw the book at Chase”.

The incident has left Ferres with a serious ankle injury which is set to keep him on the sidelines for up to four months.

“He’s not in a good way,” said Anderson. “His syndesmosis ligaments are no longer.

“It’s disgraceful. It’s attacking a standing leg, and when you look at the footage we have it’s even worse.

“I’d have still been the same if Brett hadn’t been injured. We coach people to hit thighs and pull knees together; attacking the joints is just not good.”

“It won’t be the end of his season but he’ll be out for three to four months.”

Chase now also faces a lengthy absence, with his suspension starting against Super League leaders Leeds on Sunday and set to end after Salford’s match at Widnes on May 30.

It rounded off a miserable evening for the Red Devils, who had earlier seen Hauraki banned for four games.

The former Castleford forward was first handed a two-match ban for grade B striking on Wigan’s John Bateman, an incident which saw both players sent off, before being handed the same punishment for grade B reckless striking, downgraded from grade C, against Huddersfield.

Bateman was given a one-match suspension on Wednesday morning after submitting an early guilty plea.

Widnes back-rower Danny Tickle has also been suspended for one match after he was found guilty of grade B reckless striking against Warrington, although there was some good news for the club with hooker Lloyd White found not guilty of making grade B dangerous contact in the same match.

Warrington prop Anthony England was found not guilty of a grade B dangerous contact case.

Mitch Allgood is free to play for high-flying Hull KR at Castleford on Saturday after he was successful in contesting a charge of grade A dangerous contact in the derby against Hull FC.

Salford centre Josh Griffin accepted a grade A contrary behaviour charge and was fined £300.

Published: Wednesday 8th April 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search