Chester happy to ‘enjoy the moment’

Published: Thursday 25th June 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Hull KR coach Chris Chester was critical of his side’s second-half performance but happy to savour the moment after they hung on for a 32-26 win over Catalans Dragons to secure their first Ladbrokes Challenge Cup semi-final as a Super League club.

Rovers made a dream start, racing into a 24-0 lead inside 28 minutes thanks to tries from Ken Sio, Kieran Dixon, Albert Kelly and Graeme Horne, but the visitors were transformed after the break with recent signing Krisnan Inu scoring two of their five tries.

“It was a very dominant first half,” Chester said. “We were very good defensively, put them under a lot of pressure and they came up with mistakes.

“We tried to take some juice out of them early doors and got some joy with it and scored some good tries.

“We went away from that in the second half and let a good Catalans side back into the game.

“We were very sloppy in the second half. Our execution was pretty poor, passes were going to ground and our first contact wasn’t great.

“The penalty count was 9-3 in the second half and we put ourselves under a lot of pressure. We know how good Catalans are, they’ve got strike players who cause us lot of problems.

“But the main thing is we’re in the semi-finals. Let’s enjoy this moment, it was a great performance from the boys.”

Hull KR, whose last semi-final appearance was in 2006, are still battling to climb out of the bottom four in Super League and Chester is already looking ahead to next Tuesday’s re-arranged home game against Salford.

“I’ve got a lot of upset people who have been left out tonight but in the bigger picture, we’ve got a Super League campaign to focus on,” he said.

“The Challenge Cup is a priority for me, it’s been long time since the club have been in a semi-final, but we’ve got to make sure we back up Tuesday. We don’t want to lose touch with those teams around us.”

The Dragons now have only the league to concentrate on and coach Laurent Frayssinous was philosophical after watching his side leave themselves with too much to do after making a dreadful start.

“It was too hard to come back from conceding 26 points but I’m pretty proud that the boys had a dig and tried to stay alive in this competition,” Frayssinous said.

“Our Challenge Cup is over, what we have to do now is make sure we finish in the top eight or the top six.”

Frayssinous watched most of the match from the touchline after storming down from his seat in the stand during Rovers’ early onslaught but, after twice being fined for publicly criticising officials so far this season, disguised his comments about referee Phil Bentham.

“You have your own opinions,” he said. “I have already spent too much money. I still don’t understand some stuff.

“I was angry at someone. There were some poor things on the field from a lot of people.”

Published: Thursday 25th June 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search