Clarke ‘positive’ after comeback


Published: Saturday 31st January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Australia captain Michael Clarke was encouraged by his comeback from injury and remains hopeful he is on track to play in the World Cup.

Despite tearing his right hamstring last month in the first Test against India, Clarke was selected in his country’s 15-man squad with the proviso that he be fit for their second match against Bangladesh on February 21.

He returned to action for Western Suburbs in a Grade fixture against Gordon at Chatswood Oval and batted almost three hours, and 128 balls, for 51.

“The fact I’m back on the field playing is a really positive sign,” said the 33-year-old. “But there’s a long way to go before I can walk out on the field into an international.

“It’s my first operation so I didn’t really know what to expect. I’m certainly ahead of where the surgeon and the Australia medical staff thought I would be at the six-and-a-half-week stage.

“The experts seem to think I’m ahead of schedule, a good week, week and a half ahead of schedule, but it’s one day at a time for me. As soon as I’m fit I’ll be pushing the medical staff to let me get back on the park and play for Australia.”

Clarke is playing in the match as a batsman only and plans to then take part in a Cricket Australia XI fixture against Bangladesh’s World Cup squad as a batsman and in a limited fielding capacity on February 5.

That will determine his World Cup participation or otherwise, though he is almost certain to miss the tournament co-hosts’ opening game against England.

“Like any injured player, you want to get on the park and play for your country,” he said. “That’s certainly why I’m still playing this great game.

“Being away from the team just makes you hungrier, makes you want to get back out there and play.”

Published: Saturday 31st January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search