Defoe deal not done – Redknapp

p7011Sport-5-1

Published: Thursday 6th November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

QPR boss Harry Redknapp is keen to sign Jermain Defoe in January but insists a deal has not already been struck for the former Tottenham striker.

Redknapp has signed Defoe twice before for Portsmouth and Spurs, and reports suggest a transfer has been agreed for the prolific forward with FC Toronto.

The 32-year-old, who has scored 19 goals in 55 appearances for England, came close to moving to Loftus Road in the summer before being tempted by a switch to Major League Soccer.

“He’s a player we’d be interested in in January, but it depends on the expense of the deal,” Redknapp said.

“Nothing is anywhere near being concluded.

“We tried to get him before the deadline (in August) but I don’t think there’s been any movement on that one.

“I’m a big fan of Jermain’s – I’ve signed him enough times.

“He’s a goalscorer and a player you’d obviously like at your club if possible, but the figures would have to be right.

“I haven’t spoken to the chairman about it yet. We’ll see. I know what we need.”

QPR host Manchester City on Saturday but will again be without Rio Ferdinand for the visit of the Barclays Premier League champions.

Ferdinand is serving a three-match ban for using the word ‘sket’ on Twitter – a comment for which he was also fined £25,000 by the Football Association.

“I spoke to Rio and I thought he was going to appeal – it was unjust and a heavy punishment,” Redknapp said.

“Somebody’s criticised him and he’s criticised them back.

“If you criticise me and I criticise you back – that’s life.

“It’s a very heavy ban, three games, but I think he’s decided not to appeal – he’ll let it die now and move on.”

Redknapp does, however, have a number of players back from injury for Saturday, with Jordon Mutch, Joey Barton and Nedum Onuoha all returning to full training this week.

City have won just once in their last five matches in all competitions and Manuel Pellegrini admitted his side are suffering from a “crisis in confidence” after Wednesday’s 2-1 defeat at home to CSKA Moscow in the Champions League.

Redknapp, however, is taking nothing for granted.

“They’ve got a fantastic squad of players, if you look at their team,” Redknapp said. “They’ll be fighting out the championship this year with Chelsea.

“We did well at Chelsea last week and we’ve got to play with same commitment as we showed against Liverpool and Aston Villa. If we do that, we’ve got a chance.

“You can’t kid yourselves – City haven’t become a bad team overnight.

“They’ve got a great squad, they’ve got a good manager and they’re the Premier League champions, so we’re playing a top team and we’re looking forward to it.”

Published: Thursday 6th November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search