Del Potro set for Sydney comeback


Published: Wednesday 7th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Juan Martin del Potro will make his comeback from injury in Sydney next week and has decided to play in the Australian Open.

The former US Open champion has not played since February last year because of a left wrist problem that required surgery the following month.

It is the second time Del Potro has been sidelined for a long spell by a wrist problem, with the Argentinian undergoing an operation on his right arm in 2010.

The 26-year-old admitted that he was still experiencing pain in his wrist ahead of next week’s Apia International Sydney.

But, writing on his Facebook page, Del Potro said: “Hello everyone!!! I wanted to tell you that we decided to travel to play Sydney and the Australian Open.

“I missed the tour, I missed to compete, I missed interacting with you on court and those feelings outweigh the pain in the wrist, which comes and goes and prevented me from having the ideal pre-season training.

“I don’t expect great results, I just want to feel the competition, I want to feel an active player once again, nearly a year after my last match.

“At this point I don’t care about the rankings. The situation is different. I take it as a reward for the effort that I put (in) to come back.

“The experience of my previous injury will help me so as not to be too anxious. I follow what my doctor Richard Berger says. I have to be patient.”

Del Potro has slipped to 135 in the world but can play a maximum of nine tournaments with a protected ranking.

When he returned to action in 2010 his ranking was 259 and it took him more than a year to climb back into the top 10, reaching a high of number four last January.

Published: Wednesday 7th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search