Fears for batsman Hughes


Published: Tuesday 25th November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Fears have been raised over the condition of Phil Hughes after the South Australia batsman reportedly collapsed after being hit on the head by a bouncer in a Sheffield Shield match.

Play was abandoned for the day at the Sydney Cricket Ground in the match between New South Wales and South Australia following the incident.

Hughes, on 63 at the time, was struck on his head after playing and missing at a bouncer from Sean Abbott.

It has been reported in the Australian media that the 25-year-old then put a hand on his knee before falling face first to the ground.

He was then stretchered off the field while New South Wales announced that Hughes had been taken to hospital for assessment.

“Play has been abandoned for the day here at the @scg,” said a message on the club’s Twitter account.

“Phil Hughes has been taken to a nearby hospital via ambulance. A full statement on his condition will be made once assessed by Doctors.”

Hughes has played 26 times in Tests for Australia while the last of his 25 appearances for the national one-day side came against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates last month.

The news led to many well-wishes from concerned fans of the stricken batsman, with Australia coach Darren Lehmann among that number.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with phil and his family! He is a great fighter and a great young man!,” he wrote on Twitter.

Cricket Australia chief executive officer James Sutherland said in a statement: “Our thoughts and prayers are with Phil Hughes right now. We are also thinking of his family, team-mates and friends in the Australian cricket family.

“His welfare is our highest priority. We’re also naturally concerned about all of those involved in today’s game and will be giving them our utmost support.”

Published: Tuesday 25th November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search