Figo to stand for FIFA presidency

p21217Sport-6-1

Published: Wednesday 28th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Luis Figo has announced he will stand against Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency.

The 42-year-old former Portugal international and world footballer of the year is understood to already have the minimum five nominations.

Figo said in an interview with CNN: “I care about football so what I’m seeing regarding the image of FIFA – not only now but in the past years – I don’t like it.

“If you search FIFA on the internet you see the first word that comes out: scandal, not positive words. It’s that we have to change first and try to improve the image of FIFA. Football deserves much better than this.

“I’ve been talking with so many important people in football – players, managers, president of federations – and they all think that something has to be done.

“Last year was the World Cup, I was in Brazil and I saw the reaction of all the fans regarding the image of FIFA and I think something has to be changed. Change in leadership, governance, transparency and solidarity, so I think it’s the moment for that.”

There should now be at least four candidates in the contest after nominations close on Friday.

As well as Blatter and Figo, Jordan’s Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein and Dutch FA president Michael van Praag are also standing.

The Scottish Football Association has confirmed it will be one of the five national associations that will nominate Van Praag, a fierce critic of Blatter’s. Van Praag will confirm the others involved at a news conference in Amsterdam later on Wednesday.

An SFA spokesman told Press Association Sport: “We can confirm that the Scottish FA are one of the five associations nominating Mr Van Praag.”

Prince Ali is expected to be nominated by the Football Association – FA chairman Greg Dyke is understood to have offered the association’s backing to Prince Ali and discussions have taken place between FA board members ahead of a meeting on Thursday after which it is expected to be formally announced.

The FA board’s view is that the more reformist candidates who enter the contest the better.

Published: Wednesday 28th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search