Friedel rejects Howard’s claim


Published: Friday 5th December 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Brad Friedel has rejected a claim from fellow American goalkeeper Tim Howard that he attempted to block his move to Manchester United.

Veteran Tottenham shot-stopper Friedel is accused in Howard’s upcoming book, titled ‘The Keeper’, of looking to prevent an Old Trafford move going through in 2003.

Howard’s book is being serialised by, and in it he writes: “The legal team at Manchester United … told me that Brad hadn’t merely refused to sign a statement on my behalf, he had actively tried to block my transfer. He’d written to the appeals committee suggesting that I shouldn’t be given a work permit at all.”

Howard, now at Everton, joined United from the Metrostars 11 years ago, at the age of 24, when he was not a regular presence in the United States national team and had to demonstrate he was worthy of a work permit.

Friedel told ESPN FC: “I never sabotaged, and I never stood in the way of Tim Howard getting a work permit. This is ludicrous.”

The 43-year-old added that he was asked to sign a letter commending Howard’s case for a work permit, but said it contained inaccuracies that he declined to put his name to.

Friedel said: “It was sent to me, and the only thing that was true on it was my name. The letter was full of exaggerations that the people on the PFA (Professional Footballers’ Association) and appeals committee would have seen through.

“It said that I had been in direct competition with Tim Howard for the starting job on the US national team for the last two years, when anyone who follows (US) soccer knew it was between Kasey (Keller) and I.

“Yes, I refused to sign that. We got the letter and said ‘We have to change this, because this isn’t true.’ We made our changes and sent it back. They didn’t like what I was going to sign, so they didn’t use it. And that was the end of the matter.”

Published: Friday 5th December 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search