Gulam Bodi handed 20-year ban after admitting charges related to match-fixing

Published: Monday 25th January 2016 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Former South Africa international Gulam Bodi has been banned from cricket for 20 years after he admitted “contriving or attempting to fix matches” in last year’s RAM SLAM competition.

The 37-year-old Bodi was charged on several counts of corruption by Cricket South Africa on December 31 and confessed to his involvement following an investigation by the governing body’s Anti-Corruption and Security Unit.

“CSA thoroughly considered all the relevant factors and determined that a lengthy ban was appropriate,” said CSA chief executive Haroon Lorgat.

“Our attitude to corruption will always be one of zero tolerance. There is no doubt that Mr Bodi’s actions have threatened the integrity and image of the game that we love and he must be handed a strong punishment. We have had many discussions with Mr Bodi and he accepts the folly of his actions.”

Lorgat gave a hastily convened press conference at the tea break of the fourth Test between England and South Africa at Centurion.

That contained a bitter irony in itself. It was at this ground in 2000 that England won a Test match tainted by the corruption of former Proteas captain Hansie Cronje, who later admitted he was working with illegal betting syndicates.

CSA confirmed Bodi, who played two one-day internationals and one Twenty20 for South Africa in 2007, would be banned from all international and domestic cricket recognised by itself, the International Cricket Council or any member of the National Cricket Federation, though five of his 20 years are suspended.

Lorgat indicated that Bodi had approached a number of active players, who had helped bring the plot to light.

He also said he believes the scheme was caught in “a planning phase” and that no matches were fixed.

“We are fortunate in this instance that several players rejected his approaches and, as a direct result of our integrity processes the matter was brought to light and meticulously investigated,” he said.

“There are no winners in this sort of ill-fated and unfortunate matter. However, all of us in the cricket community must learn from this experience and remain vigilant. We expect that that Mr Bodi himself will learn and will actively assist us in reminding players of the dangers of corrupt behaviour.”

Published: Monday 25th January 2016 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search