Hamilton not worried about contract

p20072Sport-7-1

Published: Wednesday 21st January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Lewis Hamilton is adamant there is “no stress” with regard to signing a new Formula One contract with Mercedes.

Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff had suggested prior to Hamilton’s title triumph the 30-year-old would again put pen to paper as soon as the off-season commenced.

Hamilton, however, has revealed there has been no progress in talks over the past two months as he has “completely switched off” from F1.

Not that Hamilton is concerned despite being in the final year of his initial three-season agreement with Mercedes.

“As soon as I left the last race I was at the factory for a couple of days, but I haven’t sat down with the team,” said Hamilton, speaking to Sky Sports F1.

“But we said last year we’re not in a rush. We’re relaxed. The team have acknowledged they want to continue with me and vice versa, so there is no stress.

“I’m comfortable and confident and trust they’re not speaking to anyone else, and they know that’s the case with me.”

After setting high standards last year with 11 race wins and a second world title, Hamilton admitted he will not be satisfied this year unless he at least emulates such achievements.

Ahead of the new season that begins with the Australian Grand Prix on March 15, Hamilton added: “For myself, naturally, and as an athlete I always want to be the best I can be.

“So anything less than what I did last year is not going to be good enough.

“But I can be better. There are going to be 20 races this year, there were eight races that I didn’t win (in 2014), so you can always get better.

“I plan to drive the way I drove last year, but hopefully with the knowledge and experience of last year and the growth, with turning 30 and everything.

“Whether it’s an inch, a foot, a metre or a mile, I want to try and make sure I’m always moving forward.”

Published: Wednesday 21st January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search