Henriques to undergo surgery

p43535Sport-8-1

Published: Monday 15th June 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Moises Henriques faces dental surgery after suffering a broken jaw following a sickening collision on the outfield with Surrey team-mate Rory Burns, who was also hospitalised, during their NatWest t20 Blast match against Sussex at Arundel.

Surrey CCC posted an update on Twitter late on Sunday evening to say both men were “in good spirits”, having a few hours earlier crashed into each other at speed while both going for a steepling catch.

Henriques was struck by his team-mate’s knee before both fell face down, with medical staff from each clubs quickly out onto the pitch who were soon joined by an off-duty doctor who had been watching the match, which was eventually abandoned.

Surrey later also confirmed Monday’s LV= County Championship game against Glamorgan at Guildford ”will go ahead as normal”, the fixture having been in some doubt given the circumstances.

“Latest news is that Rory and Moises are both in good spirits in hospital..Rory is waiting to have stitches on head and facial injuries.. Moises has broken his jaw in three places and is waiting to have an operation..dental surgery will follow… Thank you for all your messages for the two lads…know they are very much appreciated..,” the club posted on their official Twitter account.

That positive prognosis on the players was welcome news after spectators in a crowd of 8,500 had earlier watched in horror as the freak accident unfolded.

Both needed oxygen treatment and three ambulances were called onto the pitch before they left the ground. The players were able to offer a thumbs-up to sympathetic spectators before being taken to St Richards’ Hospital in Chichester for further treatment and assessment.

Sussex physiotherapist John Marrale, who was one of the first people on the scene, confirmed the men were unconscious after the collision.

He said: ”They were given oxygen and pain relief was administered by an intravenous drip before they went to hospital. Fortunately they were sitting up when they left the ground, but it was a sickening incident.”

Umpire Alex Wharf and his colleague Jeremy Lloyds decided to abandon the match after consulting players from both teams, who included Surrey’s Kevin Pietersen who was playing his last game for the county.

Wharf said: ”It was a horrific situation for everyone involved – the players and the spectators who were close to the incident.

”Incidents like that are very rare but the first priority is always the welfare of the players. We consulted with the ECB and the captains and there was never any chance of the game continuing.”

Sussex chief executive Zac Toumazi praised the swift response of the emergency services, while also backing the decision to call off the match.

Former England batsman Pietersen posted a message of support on Twitter. He wrote: “Thinking about you both, @roryburns17 & @Mozzie21!”

The collision occurred halfway through the 19th over, which was bowled by Tom Curran, when Sussex batsman Steffan Piolet launched a huge top edge into the off side. Henriques and Burns were no more than 20 yards apart when they collided at full pace.

Henriques joined Surrey earlier this month to play in the NatWest t20 Blast competition. The 28-year-old all-rounder has played 13 times for Australia including three Test matches.

Opening batsman Burns, 24, joined the Surrey staff in 2009 and has been a regular member of their one-day team.

Sussex had scored 141 for seven when the match was abandoned with Sri Lanka’s Mahela Jayawardene scoring 43 and Chris Nash 41. Henriques had just finished a bowling spell of three for 23 when the collision occurred.

Published: Monday 15th June 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search