Hull KR fight back to seal win

Published: Sunday 1st March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Australian all-time great David Campese watched his nephew lead Hull KR to their first win of the season as they came from 20-6 down to beat Wigan 22-20 in a cliffhanger at the KC Lightstream Stadium.

Rovers skipper Terry Campese, playing in front of the 101-cap Wallaby for the first time at Rovers, was at the heart of a tremendous fightback by the home side, who were staring at a third successive defeat after conceding three tries in a five-minute spell either side of half-time.

England prop Lee Mossop marked the start of his second spell with Wigan following his return from Australia with one of his side’s four tries but the Warriors were clearly suffering from a hangover from their World Club Challenge defeat by Brisbane.

The Warriors were without England centre Dan Sarginson, who pulled out with a “dead” leg, and had 21-year-old Connor Farrell starting his first match for them, lining up in the second row alongside older brother Liam, the England international.

Hull KR, who gave French hooker John Boudebza his full debut, dominated for long periods of the first half, w ith Campese prompting and probing to great effect, but they ruined much of their promising build-up with handling errors.

Wigan were also full of errors It took a blunder by Wigan winger Joe Burgess to break the deadlock on 23 minutes.

The Sydney-bound Burgess clearly felt a grubber kick from his former Wigan team-mate Darrell Goulding was going to roll dead but the ball slowed up, allowing Hull KR winger Ken Sio to get the touchdown.

Josh Mantellato maintained his 100 per cent with the boot by kicking his 12th goal from as many attempts to put his side into a 6-0 lead.

They were good value for it, too, but Wigan turned the game on its head with three tries in the last 13 minutes of the first half.

Burgess finished off a training-ground move, touching down in the corner for the 11th time in his last 12 matches, and Mossop took a more direct route through the middle to mark his return in style.

Matty Smith’s first goal made it 10-6 and Wigan crucially scored again just nine seconds before the break when England winger Josh Charnley scooped up a bouncing ball and went round Mantellato.

Many of the corporate guests missed that try as they made a dash for the sandwiches and they were still munching away when Wigan scored their fourth try within a minute of the re-start, stand-off George Williams finishing off a break by Burgess.

Smith’s second goal made it 20-6 but Hull KR roared back right back into the game.

Scrum-half Albert Kelly got to the line before losing the ball but Sio made no mistake on 51 minutes as he took Goulding’s pass to collect his second try.

Mantellato was off target for the first time in Super League to leave his side trailing by 10 points but the try spurred Rovers into producing their best spell of the game and they cut the deficit to just four six minutes later.

Williams got back to make a terrific tackle and prevent Sio completing his hat-trick but the run set up the position for prop Mitch Allgood to crash over for his side’s third try and Mantellato kicked his third goal.

Clever kicks from Campese and Kelly forced Wigan to concede two goal-line drop-outs and the pressure told on 72 minutes when substitute Kieran Dixon forced his way over for his first try for the club with only his second touch of the ball.

That levelled the scores and Mantellato won it with his third conversion.

Published: Sunday 1st March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search