Illness forces Froome withdrawal

p28258Sport-10-1

Published: Monday 9th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Chris Froome will miss the Tirreno-Adriatico stage race in Italy through illness.

The 2013 Tour de France winner was due for an early-season duel against his top rivals Alberto Contador, Nairo Quintana and Vincenzo Nibali starting on Wednesday, but has been laid low with a chest infection.

“This is obviously frustrating after the good start that I’ve had to the season, but it’s a minor setback,” Froome said on the Team Sky website. “I’ve been ill for a few days now and unfortunately I couldn’t shake it off in time for the race.

“After speaking with the doctors we decided as a precaution that it would be best to take a few days off the bike to recover fully.”

Froome, who won the Ruta del Sol last month, said he hoped to be back competing again soon.

“We’re only at the start of the season and I should be fine to race the Volta a Catalunya later this month,” he said.

“We have a very strong team going into Tirreno-Adriatico. The mood in the camp is great. I’ll be following the race closely and wish my team-mates all the best.”

Sky named Kanstantsin Siutsou as Froome’s replacement in their team for the race, which features Elia Viviani.

The Italian will contest the sprints against Mark Cavendish (Etixx-QuickStep) and Marcel Kittel (Team Giant-Alpecin), who has taken the Briton’s mantle as the world’s top sprinter in recent seasons.

Published: Monday 9th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search