Jose Mourinho vows to stay at Chelsea for remainder of contract

Published: Wednesday 4th November 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Embattled boss Jose Mourinho believes he is equipped to combat the crisis which is engulfing Chelsea after forecasting trouble following one of the early successes of his career.

Mourinho is under pressure from all angles – not least to retain his job amid a miserable run of nine losses in 17 matches in all competitions – and declined to reveal if he had spoken to owner Roman Abramovich this week, merely pointing to the length of his contract.

The 52-year-old Portuguese says he has had support from friends within and outside football and was reminded by one of comments he made after leading Porto to the Champions League title in May 2004.

“I said that one day in my career bad results will come and I will face the bad results with the same honesty and dignity that I’m facing now as European champion,” Mourinho said.

“I resisted well to the nature of my job, to the nature of football – 11 years waiting for this. It took time, but came in a moment where I am stable and I am strong to face it.”

Mourinho was subject of the first managerial vote of confidence in Abramovich’s 12-year ownership on October 5, but Chelsea have one win in five matches since, against free-falling Aston Villa.

The club’s position has not changed, but it is possible Wednesday night’s Champions League Group G clash with Dynamo Kiev could be his last as boss at Stamford Bridge.

Saturday’s Premier League fixture at Stoke could also be key.

Last Saturday’s 3-1 loss to Liverpool was Chelsea’s sixth in 11 Premier League games, leaving the reigning champions 15th in the table.

Asked how much time he has left as boss, Mourinho, who signed a new contract until June 2019 on the eve of the season, said: “Four years. In this case, three years and seven months.”

He insisted his confidence had not been impacted by the run of results and he would remain steadfast to his methods, which the players had not questioned despite the miserable run.

“It’s new for me. That’s why I am a good one (manager). If I was a bad one it would come before (now),” Mourinho said.

Captain John Terry insisted Mourinho has the players’ support, contrary to rumours of unrest and despite disciplinary disputes with the Football Association and being the subject of a personal legal claim from former first-team doctor Eva Carneiro.

“I can assure you now that the players are 100 per cent behind the manager,” Terry said.

Asked how he and the players would feel if Mourinho did leave, Terry added: “It’s not going to come to that. The club have shown faith in the best manager in the history of this football club.

“It’s not what ifs. I’m adamant we’re going to turn this round and he will be in charge for the rest of the season and long after I’ve finished playing at this football club.

“For me he’s the right man to take this club forward. That’s the only way I’m thinking.”

Mourinho did not address the Carneiro case or the stadium ban and £40,000 fine he was hit with on Monday for his half-time dismissal in last month’s loss at West Ham.

Chelsea are awaiting the written reasons to determine whether or not to appeal. He is currently banned from the stadium at Stoke.

There is an ongoing appeal over a separate disciplinary matter relating to comments made after the loss to Southampton on October 3.

Published: Wednesday 4th November 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search