Lee ruled out of Scotland clash

p24019Sport-6-1

Published: Friday 13th February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Wales prop Samson Lee has been ruled out of Sunday’s RBS 6 Nations clash against Scotland at Murrayfield.

Lee suffered a knock to his head during last week’s Millennium Stadium defeat against England.

The Welsh Rugby Union said on its official Twitter feed that Lee “was unable to complete the final component of the return to play protocol and has been ruled out of the second RSB 6 Nations fixture.”

Lee has been replaced in the starting line-up by Ospreys tighthead Aaron Jarvis, with Cardiff Blues forward Scott Andrews named on the bench.

Lee’s absence is a blow for Wales, and comes after it was decided earlier this week to rest wing George North for the Edinburgh trip.

North has been given an extended recovery period by Wales and he will not be involved in the Murrayfield encounter.

He suffered two heavy blows to his head during the England game, and although the Welsh Rugby Union has consistently said he has been symptom-free in terms of concussion, he will now spend time recovering.

North, 22, was concussed when Wales lost to world champions New Zealand last November, and he sat out the following weekend’s Millennium Stadium appointment with South Africa.

Rugby union’s world governing body World Rugby said earlier this week that North should not have remained on the field against England after a clash of heads with team-mate Richard Hibbard.

But World Rugby added that it accepted the WRU’s explanation surrounding the incident.

North appeared to suffer a momentary loss of consciousness following the 61st-minute collision with Hibbard. WRU national medical manager Prav Mathema subsequently admitted that had the second incident been seen by medics then North would have been immediately taken off and replaced.

North left the field in the first half after receiving an accidental boot to the head from England lock Dave Attwood, but he was able to continue after treatment.

North had been replaced in the Wales starting line-up by Scarlets back Liam Williams, and Wales head coach Warren Gatland has now made a second switch as his players look to bounce back following the England loss.

Lee, meanwhile, had been undertaking graduated return to play protocols, and he was named in the starting XV on Wednesday, subject to those tests being successfully completed.

Published: Friday 13th February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search