Leeds go top

Published: Saturday 28th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Leeds scored 28 points without reply in the second half to beat Catalans Dragons 38-22 and go top of the First Utility Super League.

Brian McDermott’s men were off the pace for a large chunk of the game but eventually fired up and were able to run in seven tries in Perpignan.

The first of them opened the scoring for the match as Carl Ablett stepped through a gap to dot down, with Liam Sutcliffe adding the extras.

The Dragons, back home after a horror road trip to Hull, then responded as Elliott Whitehead took in a pass from Scott Dureau to force his way over, with the creator adding the extras.

Leeds made sure they led at the break, though, with Stevie Ward going through Benjamin Garcia to open his account for the season.

Catalans ran hot at the start of the second half, scoring twice in quick succession to leave Leeds reeling. Former Bradford man Whitehead got the first and then Eloi Pellissier skipped in from dummy half.

The game looked to be getting away from the Rhinos, especially when a fourth Catalans try arrived as Damien Cardace went in at the corner, leaving the score at 22-10.

That was Leeds’ cue to fire up, though. Forward Brad Singleton, proving a handy try-scorer in 2015, crashed on to a Rob Burrow pass to touch down and then skipper-for-the-day Danny McGuire went in after fine link-up play between Joel Moon and Ryan Hall.

Two conversions by Sutcliffe left it at 22-22 and Catalans had no answer to the flow of points.

They fell behind in unfortunate circumstances as Sutcliffe’s grubber kick reared up off the turf and left Willie Tonga slapping the air, with Sutcliffe following up to score.

That broke the home side’s resolve and things were finished off soon after as Kallum Watkins took in a Burrow break to score and then Zak Hardaker scored after a short drop out went wrong.

Published: Saturday 28th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search