Lyon wary of Bayliss appointment


Published: Wednesday 24th June 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Trevor Bayliss’ appointment as England’s new coach could be dangerous for Australia but will not define this summer’s Ashes series, Nathan Lyon has claimed.

Bayliss, a 52-year-old Australian, will officially take over from interim coach Paul Farbrace on Thursday before heading to Spain for a four-day training camp with England ahead of the Ashes opener in Cardiff next month.

The former Sri Lanka and New South Wales coach is well known for his cool and collected approach.

And Lyon, who, along with a number of his Australian team-mates played under Bayliss during his three-year tenure at New South Wales, believes that style will benefit England in the forthcoming Ashes campaign.

“TB is a great guy and a great coach, and he will bring in a relaxed environment for England which could potentially be dangerous,” Lyon said.

“We know TB and there are nine New South Wales guys who have played under him, so we know what to expect.

“It is going to be exciting and it is a good challenge for him, b ut England always had a chance and just because you bring in a new coach it doesn’t mean you are going to have less or more of a chance.

“They are a quality side and we are not coming here thinking it will be a walkover.”

Speaking at Kensington’s Roof Top Gardens in west London before heading to Canterbury to face Kent in a four-day match which starts on Thursday, Lyon also moved to rebuff Graeme Swann’s claim that he will be Australia’s “weakest link” this summer.

“That is Graeme Swann trying just trying to get under Australian skin,” said Lyon, who surpassed Hugh Trumble’s 111-year-old record of 141 Test wickets by an Australian off-spinner earlier this month.

“I have played 41 Tests and have always been referred to as the weakest link so it doesn’t really faze me.”

Lyon’s team-mate Chris Rogers will face the media later on Wednesday as he begins his bid to win his place back in the line-up after missing Australia’s two matches against West Indies through concussion.

Rogers was struck on the helmet during a net session on the eve of the first Test, but he is expected to usurp Shaun Marsh at the top of the order for the Ashes opener in Wales on July 8.

Published: Wednesday 24th June 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search