Mayweather expects epic clash

p28737Sport-7-1

Published: Thursday 12th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Floyd Mayweather has declared his bout with Manny Pacquiao on May 2 as “the biggest fight in boxing history”.

Mayweather and Pacquiao went head to head for the first and only time prior to their mouthwatering Las Vegas super-fight at a press conference in Los Angeles on Wednesday.

The pair made brief, business-like statements at a glitzy ceremony which made official a bout which is set to be the richest in boxing history, with an estimated shared purse of USD250,000,000 (£167.4million).

According to Mayweather’s chief adviser Leonard Ellerbe, tickets for the MGM Grand showdown – very few if any of which are expected to made public – will range in price from between USD1500 and USD7500.

And, with the contest clearly so easy to sell to an expectant worldwide audience there will be no pre-fight press tour – with the fighters not expected to meet again until the usual fight week preparations.

Mayweather, who will take a proud 47-fight unbeaten record into the ring, said: “May 2 is when the world stops – it’s Mayweather Pacquiao, it’s the biggest fight in boxing history.”

The American continued: ”This is a fight that the world can’t miss. I’m in the gym working and dedicating myself to the sport because I have never wanted to win a fight so bad in my life.

”May 2 is the fight of the century. It’s all about the best fighting the best and Pacquiao is one of the best fighters of this era.

“Everything is about timing and we couldn’t have chosen a better time.”

The much-anticipated match-up has been in the pipeline for several years but only now have the two teams been able to strike an agreement.

Mayweather denied the breakdown in talks had been down to him, insisting the bout was only going ahead at his request.

“A lot of times you hear certain things in the media that are totally false,” Mayweather told SHO Sports.

“We tried to make this fight happen in the past. The teams kept bumping heads because of random blood and urine testing, then about being the A-side and who’s going to be the B-side.

“So, there were a lot of problems in the past. We finally resolved everything, the teams got on the same page and we made the fight happen.

“Everyone wants to keep talking about why this fight happened – this fight happened because of me.

“This fight didn’t happen because of Manny Pacquiao.

“I asked for this fight myself. We had to choose an opponent for May and I said, “what better opponent to choose?” I chose Manny Pacquiao.”

Some believe Mayweather has picked the right time to face Pacquiao after appearing reluctant in recent years primarily over drug-testing procedures.

The Filipino’s aura of invincibility was shattered when he was smashed to a sixth round knockout defeat by Juan Manuel Marquez in December 2012, although he has since rebounded with three straight wins.

Pacquiao’s statement was brief and to the point, with the 36-year-old saying: ”I believe this is what you have been waiting for five years.

“Now the fight is on and both of us will do our best on May 2 to make you happy.

“I want people to know God can raise someone from nothing to something. That is me, I came from nothing to something.”

Published: Thursday 12th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search