McIlroy dispute settled


Published: Wednesday 4th February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

World number one golfer Rory McIlroy has settled his long and bitter contract dispute with his former agent in a deal believed to be worth more than £13 million.

The High Court in Dublin was told that the row had been resolved following last-ditch negotiations between the star’s lawyers and advisers and Conor Ridge, of Horizon Sports Management.

McIlroy was not in court for the brief hearing.

The terms of the settlement were not detailed in court.

But a source close to the case told the Press Association the settlement was “far north” of 20 million US dollars.

“It’s in the public domain that the amount of money owing under the contract and the money likely to be generated from the the contract was 20 million dollars,” a source said.

McIlroy, fresh from a weekend victory in Dubai, had sued Mr Ridge’s agency over the cut his firm was taking from on and off-course earnings in a potentially ugly row over £4.2 million in fees.

Mr Ridge, who was flanked by supporters in the public gallery, hugged and kissed them after the announcement was made.

A brief statement agreed between the McIlroy and Ridge camps was released following the hearing.

“The legal dispute between Rory McIlroy and Horizon Sports Management has been settled to the satisfaction of both parties, who wish each other well for the future,” it said.

“The parties will be making no further comment.”

The two sides had been locked in talks for about 10 hours yesterday at the Four Courts complex in central Dublin, with McIlroy leaving last night at about 9pm without making any comment.

When the case was called this morning, Paul Gallagher, senior counsel for McIlroy, told the court: “The entire matter has been resolved.”

Published: Wednesday 4th February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search