Moores enjoying attacking England

p46951Sport-9-1

Published: Friday 3rd July 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Peter Moores has enjoyed watching England’s attacking cricket since his sacking as head coach and believes he did “a pretty good job” of rebuilding the side.

Moores was sacked by the England and Wales Cricket Board for the second time in May, with new director of cricket Andrew Strauss ruthlessly swinging the axe as his first priority.

Despite domestic success with Sussex and Lancashire, Strauss felt Moores was not up to the rigours of the international game – with the dismal World Cup campaign counting strongly against him.

But as Moores began a three-month consultancy role with Nottinghamshire, he took the chance to make his own case.

The 52-year-old was characteristically free of bitterness as he spoke at Trent Bridge, but made it clear that he felt at least partly responsible for the dynamic approach on show during the recent tour by New Zealand.

“I look back feeling like actually we did a pretty good job,” he said.

“We had some success and some tough times but that’s part of bringing lots of players into the side. They can be inconsistent but I enjoyed watching them.

“The World Cup was a frustration for everybody, that we didn’t get it out of ourselves, but we’ve seen a really good reaction this summer with players coming in and playing a more expressive game of cricket.

“We talked about that all the time, that’s what you’re trying to do, work to get the players to go out and express themselves when they go on the field.

“It was great to see the lads play the way they played in the last one-day series, with freedom, that’s what we all want – the coaches, the public. It’s not always easy to do and the fact they’ve done that, hopefully it stands them in good stead for the Ashes and the one-day series this summer.”

Moores’ wishing his former side well for the battle with Australia, a series he had been working towards for more than a year, is typical of his dignified nature.

He has never said a harsh word against his former employers – on record at least – despite his dismissal being messily handled.

Reports were flooding the media that he had been sacked long before he was officially informed, but his response is stoic.

“It’s always tough when you leave a job of that sort of profile but it’s all in the past,” he said.

“I’ve been through it a little bit but I’m pretty good at picking myself up. I love the game and the game doesn’t owe me anything. I’ve been in it 33 years and loved every minute, I’ve had some ups and some downs but it’s all about bouncing back and getting stuck in.”

That is exactly what Moores intends to do at Nottinghamshire, after accepting an invitation from director of cricket Mick Newell to lend a hand at Trent Bridge.

The county, who have Moores’ son Tom on contract, are seventh in both LV= County Championship Division One and their NatWest T20 Blast group, well below expectations.

“It all happened pretty quickly but it seemed a really good fit and it’s great to be back involved with the game,” he said.

“I’ll support the players and support the coaches and hopefully add something to a talented group.

“We’ll get to the end of the season, see where we go and see what the future holds.”

Published: Friday 3rd July 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search