Mourinho: I would have been banned

p3282Sport-2-1

Published: Friday 17th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Jose Mourinho suggested he would have been given a stadium ban had he been the perpetrator, rather than the victim, of Arsene Wenger’s push.

The Chelsea boss was pushed firmly in the chest by the Arsenal manager during the Premier League leaders’ 2-0 win at Stamford Bridge earlier this month as Wenger’s winless run against his nemesis extended to 12 games.

The Football Association took no further action as the touchline fracas, which came after Gary Cahill’s foul on Alexis Sanchez, was witnessed and dealt with by the match officials.

Mourinho, who has a history of falling foul of disciplinary regulations, did not expect Wenger to be punished, but believes he would have been had the roles been reversed.

“No, I’m not surprised,” Mourinho said. “I’m not surprised.”

Asked if he felt he would have been charged had he pushed a rival manager, a smiling Mourinho said: “Charged? Charged? Or stadium ban?”

It was the second successive home game in which Mourinho had irked rival coaching staff after Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert and his assistant Roy Keane expressed their annoyance when a handshake was offered by the Portuguese prior to the end of their side’s 3-0 loss.

Keane described the action as “disgraceful” and Lambert as “disrespectful”.

Mourinho added: “I don’t comment. I’d prefer not to comment.

“I don’t know if he (Keane) really feels it, or if he wants to sell books and needs my help for that. I don’t know.

“I know my nature, I know my intentions.”

Mourinho, with a sarcastic tone, added: “But, from people like him and his boss, I think I have a lot to learn about how to behave and I appreciate the comment.”

Published: Friday 17th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search