Murray confirms Queen’s entry


Published: Monday 12th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Andy Murray will bid for his fourth Queen’s Club title in seven years this summer after confirming his presence at the Aegon Championships along with defending champion Grigor Dimitrov.

Murray won the event in 2009, 2011 and 2013 and is looking to join John McEnroe, Boris Becker, Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick as a four-time champion.

The Scot, who lost to Radek Stepanek in the third round last year, said: “I’d love to win the tournament again.

“I’ve had some great moments on those grass courts. It’s where I won my first professional match and my first title in Britain.

“When you see the names on the trophy, it shows how difficult it is to win. The year I won Wimbledon, it came a few weeks after winning at Queen’s, and it’s perfect preparation.”

Dimitrov defeated Feliciano Lopez in the final last year and went on to have his best run at a grand slam at Wimbledon, ending Murray’s title defence in the quarter-finals before losing to Novak Djokovic in the semis.

The popular Bulgarian said: “I have always had a special relationship with everyone at the Aegon Championships, right from when I was given two wild cards early on in my career, to last year when I lifted the trophy for the first time.

“It is one of my favourite tournaments and winning the title last year was one of the best moments of my career so far.

“I am really happy that I will be coming back to defend my title and I look forward to playing in front of the great British crowds again.”

The tournament has enhanced status on the ATP Tour this year having been bumped up from a 250 tournament to 500 while it has moved back a week in the extended grass-court season meaning it is no longer straight after the French Open.

Organisers will hope a combination of the two changes will enable them to assemble a bumper field for the event, which starts on June 15.

Published: Monday 12th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search