No KP talks on Foxes offer – agent


Published: Friday 6th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Kevin Pietersen has yet to consider Leicestershire’s bold bid to sign him for this summer’s NatWest T20 Blast.

After new England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Colin Graves hinted last weekend there is still a possibility of a return to international cricket for the record-breaking batsman, sacked last year, the first definite attempt by a county to secure his services surfaced on Friday.

Leicestershire chief executive Wasim Khan told Cricinfo he had been in touch with Pietersen’s advisers about the possibility of signing the 34-year-old between his existing commitments at the Indian and Caribbean premier leagues.

Pietersen’s agent confirmed an initial discussion did take place, but added it was “some time ago”.

Leicestershire’s gambit therefore appears to pre-date Graves’ remarks, in which he indicated Pietersen’s return to county cricket – as a pre-requisite of being considered again for England – would need to encompass all formats, rather than just Twenty20.

Wasim told Cricinfo: “I approached his agent about his T20 availability.

“But he said it was unlikely he would play any T20 (in England) due to his full CPL commitments.”

Pietersen’s agent said: “I haven’t had a conversation with Kevin about Leicestershire – it is not something we have discussed.”

Pietersen, who was axed by the ECB 13 months ago after England’s 2013/14 Ashes whitewash defeat and described by his employers’ managing director Paul Downton as “disengaged”, has since published an autobiography in which he is very critical of several former team-mates and management staff.

He played for Surrey in last year’s domestic T20 competition, but was de-registered by them at the end of the season.

Published: Friday 6th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search