Rosberg abandons ‘creative’ plan

p1856Sport-2-1

Published: Friday 10th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Nico Rosberg is to switch back to a conservative approach after admitting to an attempt at creativity that failed ahead of this weekend’s inaugural Russian Grand Prix.

Looking for any edge he can gain over Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton in their battle for this year’s Formula One world title, Rosberg tried something different in the second practice session at the Sochi Autodrom.

After finishing just 0.065secs quicker than Hamilton at the end of the first run, Rosberg ended the second almost a second down on the 29-year-old Briton.

That left Rosberg fourth on the timesheet after the first day of running at F1’s newest venue, set in the Olympic Park that was at the heart of the Winter Games earlier this year.

Reflecting on his day’s work, and a circuit he rates as “very enjoyable” and “cool to drive”, Rosberg said: “That was a very productive day from an engineering point of view.

“The team decided to go two different ways in terms of set-up. I took a very creative set-up for my car in the second session, which didn’t work out.

“So we will go back to the conservative way for tomorrow, because we saw Lewis was very quick with that.”

Hamilton, who holds a 10-point lead over Rosberg after a run of three successive victories, immediately appeared at home on the track.

A happy Hamilton said: “I like the new circuit. It’s got really good grip and great corners, with a lot at medium speed. It’s good fun.

“As for the car, that felt really good. We’ve quite a good balance, so there are a lot of boxes ticked, but we still have work to do to see if we can improve for tomorrow.”

As for Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo, the only other driver in with a shout of denying Hamilton or Rosberg the title, it was a tough day at the office.

The Australian, 73 points behind Hamilton, finished down in 13th, almost 2.5secs off the pace.

Worse still was the fact Ricciardo’s second session ended seven minutes early as he was forced to pull his car to the side of the track with an engine issue he suspected was looming anyway.

Ricciardo said: “It was our last Friday with that engine, so it’s not a worry that she turned off at the end there.

“We tried a few settings and we’re not so fast here, the straights are long and we’re suffering a bit.”

Ricciardo revealed he has not been focused in the wake of Jules Bianchi’s accident in Japan on Sunday that has left the Frenchman fighting for his life.

“After what happened in Japan, you try and do the best you can,” added Ricciardo.

“I would be lying if I said other things weren’t on my mind, but you do what you can to make sure you’re 100 per cent committed to driving and that’s the best way for our job and our headspace.

“It’s the best way, but it was tricky and not as easy as I expected.”

Published: Friday 10th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search