Video technology trials delayed


Published: Saturday 28th February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Football’s lawmakers have delayed live trials of video technology at matches for at least 12 months.

The Dutch FA had wanted to use its system in the Dutch Cup next season but the International FA Board meeting in Belfast wants more information before giving the green light.

Football Association chairman Greg Dyke had been keen to push forward live trials but other delegates were more cautious which means it will be at least another year before the go-ahead can be given.

A move to change the ‘triple punishment’ has been agreed in principle, so that a player who is sent off for a straight red card for denying a goal-scoring chance when conceding a penalty is no longer suspended for the following match.

Irish FA chief executive Patrick Nelson told a news conference: “IFAB did agree that this punishment is too harsh and that we must find a solution to the matter. IFAB has tasked FIFA to look into the feasibility of implementing this on a global level.”

Proposals to allow a fourth substitute in extra-time, which had been put forward by FIFA, were rejected.

“IFAB remains of the view that three substitutions is adequate,” said Nelson, but the issue has been referred back to its technical panels for further analysis.

Published: Saturday 28th February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search