Warrington hang on to shock Exeter

Published: Friday 7th November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Craig Robinson was the hero for Warrington Town as the non-league club marched into the second round of the FA Cup courtesy of a 1-0 victory over Exeter.

Appearing in the FA Cup first round for the first time in their 65-year history, Warrington sat four divisions and 100 places below Exeter prior to kick-off but they defied the odds thanks to a heroic second-half defensive performance.

That came after the brother of MK Dons manager Karl Robinson, Craig, had sent the cheering fans of the eighth-tier Evo-Stik Division One North side wild by opening the scoring after seven minutes, which proved to be the decisive goal.

The defender was first to meet captain and former Liverpool player David Mannix’s corner with a deflected near post header, which appeared to take a final touch off an Exeter defender.

With the League Two side struggling to gain a foothold, Shaun Reid’s team almost doubled their lead when Ben Wharton fired narrowly wide from just outside the box.

The Grecians almost levelled after 16 minutes when Matthew Doughty’s sliced clearance sent Graham Cummins through but keeper Karl Wills, who took the day off work, smothered his attempt.

Warrington deserved the lead at the break but David Noble should have equalised when he met Liam Sercombe’s low cross shortly before half-time but his effort rattled the crossbar.

Captain Scot Bennett headed wide after the break before Sercombe fired a 25-yard free-kick inches over and drew Wills into action with a rasping drive moments later.

Sercombe was a constant threat, but showed why he is yet to score this season, sliding wide from Matt Grimes’ delicate through ball.

With 15 minutes remaining Grimes thought he had the equaliser but his effort was heroically scooped off the line by Phil Davies.

The substitute was required again, after Wills parried Jimmy Keohane’s volley, Davies threw himself to block captain Bennett’s effort.

Exeter threw everything at Warrington but they held on to complete the greatest win in the club’s history.

Published: Friday 7th November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search