Wellens scores in dramatic win

Published: Friday 6th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Former captain Paul Wellens marked his first appearance of the season with his 199th Super League try to help injury-hit St Helens maintain their 100 per cent record with a nail-biting 20-16 win at Wakefield.

Wellens, drafted in for suspended stand-off Travis Burns, opened the scoring with a try that took him level with his former Great Britain team-mate Keith Senior in second place in the Super League try-scoring chart behind only Leeds’ Danny McGuire.

It looked to be in vain when Wakefield stormed back to lead 12-6 and Saints lost three players to injury in the space of six minutes midway through the first half which left them with one fit substitute for the remaining 55 minutes.

But the reigning champions demonstrated true grit and determination to regain the ascendancy, although they were hanging on at the end.

Wakefield had their chances to avoid a second successive defeat but at least they restored their pride following their 58-16 humiliation at Widnes.

Meanwhile, Justin Carney continued his fine start to 2015 with a brace as Castleford finally got their Super League season up and running courtesy of a stunning 42-14 victory over Wigan.

The Tigers went into Friday night’s match looking for their first win at the fourth attempt and got it thanks in the main to a scintillating first-half performance.

Carney had scored four in Castleford’s three defeats and he took his tally to six as the Tigers ran in three tries in the space of 10 minutes early on, with fellow winger James Clare grabbing the other.

Josh Charnley responded for the Warriors but they went into the break with an 18-point deficit after Luke Dorn, whose wife is due to give birth to their second child, marked his first appearance of the campaign with a brilliant solo effort.

That try put the full-back level with Pat Richards in 10th place in the list of all-time leading try-scorers in Super League.

Charnley, making his 100th appearance in the competition, completed his double but scores from Liam Finn, Oliver Holmes and Michael Shenton made sure the Tigers were celebrating their biggest Super League win over Wigan at full-time, despite Matty Smith’s last-gasp try.

Elsewhere, centre Joe Wardle scored two second half tries for Huddersfield as they claimed their first Super League win of the season in a 24-12 victory over Widnes.

Joe Mellor opened the scoring for Widnes but his converted score was cancelled out by Scott Grix just before the half hour mark.

Jermaine McGillvary added the Giants’ second early in the second period before Wardle’s brace, with Eorl Crabtree adding the gloss with a score in the 73rd minute.

Widnes did briefly rally thanks to Manase Manuokafoa’s 65th minute try, which was converted by Danny Tickle, but it proved too little too late for the visitors.

Published: Friday 6th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search