Wolves claim battling win

Published: Sunday 8th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Warrington twice came from behind to finally overcome an impressive Hull KR to climb up to third place in the First Utility Super League and leave their opponents rooted to the bottom.

Matty Russell scored two tries and revelled in his new wing role for the Wolves while full-back Stefan Ratchford was in inspired form on his return from injury.

Warrington had lost both matches in Ratchford’s absence but looked far more threatening with the England international dictating play, not that there was much to choose between the sides.

The Robins looked full of confidence following their memorable win over Wigan and took the lead on seven minutes when lively captain Terry Campese combined with the excellent Kris Welham to get Josh Mantellato over for the first of his two tries.

The Italian international curled over the touchline conversion to make it 6-0 but Warrington enjoyed a purple patch in which they scored three tires in nine minutes.

Ratchford’s 30-metre pass enabled Russell to go around his opposite number Ken Sio for the first while his short ball got his skipper Joel Monaghan over from close range.

Both tries came with the sides down to 12 men after Warrington’s Ashton Sims and Rovers forward Tyrone McCarthy were shown yellow cards for trading punches.

Ratchford added one conversion and the home side extended their lead on 28 minutes when second rower Joe Philbin took Daryl Clark’s pass to force his way over for a try on his full debut.

That made it 14-6 but Rovers were full of life and they duly got back into it six minutes before the break when Welham produced a superb offload to get Mantellato over for his second try.

The big winger kicked his second goal and was only just wide with a penalty attempt from halfway on the stroke of half-time.

Warrington winger Kevin Penny was brought back for a forward pass before the visitors regained the lead on 52 minutes, with substitute forward Kevin Larroyer forcing his way over from close range for a third try in the 100th match of his career.

Mantellato’s third goal made it 18-14 but it was all square within three minutes when makeshift centre Ben Currie released Russell down the wing and scrum-half Gary Wheeler was in support to touch down.

Ratchford’s second goal edged Warrington into a two-point lead and Russell looked to have given his side some breathing space when he took Currie’s pass to produce a strong finish for his second try on 63 minutes.

With Ratchford’s third goal, the Wolves led 26-18 but there was only two points in it once more on 68 minutes when another touch of class from Campese got substitute Graeme Horne over for a fourth try which Mantellato goaled.

The game was finally settled six minutes from the end when Ratchford’s short pass released Currie and he had the pace to finish off the 40-metre move.

Published: Sunday 8th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search