£50m in public donations to Nepal

p39392UK-News-6-1

Published: Monday 11th May 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Donations from the UK public to an appeal to help the victims of the Nepalese earthquake have reached £50 million.

The 7.8-magnitude earthquake rocked the south Asian country, triggering avalanches and mudslides and reducing whole villages to rubble when it struck on April 25.

The death toll has passed the 8,000 mark.

The Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) launched the Nepal Earthquake Appeal t o help aid agencies reach an estimated 310,000 people, providing help in more than 60 villages, camps and towns.

DEC chief executive Saleh Saeed expressed his gratitude for the £50 million that has been donated so far.

“We are extremely grateful for the extraordinary generosity of the UK public,” he said. “Despite the immense challenges facing those affected and relief efforts, the response continues to grow day by day.

“We are now delivering more aid to some of the worst-affected areas, and our members are expanding their efforts into remote regions.

“Our members’ teams are working around the clock to provide essential aid. A huge amount of work remains to be done before the monsoon rains make the response even more difficult and the risk of disease outbreaks increase.

“The overwhelming generosity of the UK public will help families get through the next few months and rebuild their lives over the coming years.”

The vast majority of DEC funds came from individual donations from members of the public but the UK Government has also contributed £5 million through aid matching.

On Saturday the Foreign Office said that missing British backpacker Matthew Carapiet, 23, has been confirmed as being among the dead in Nepal.

His family said he ”made a huge impression on the lives of everyone he met”.

Donations to the DEC appeal can be made via www.dec.org.uk or calling the 24-hour hotline on 0370 60 60 900.

Published: Monday 11th May 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search