Cantlie’s sister in IS talks plea

p2324UK-News-1-1

Published: Monday 13th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

The sister of British journalist John Cantlie, who is being held hostage by the Islamic State (IS), has urged the terror group to “restart dialogue” with his family.

Mr Cantlie, a photojournalist who has worked for newspapers including The Sunday Times, has featured in several propaganda videos released by the Islamic extremists in recent weeks and apparently had an article published in the group’s Dabiq magazine.

But in a statement released tonight, his sister Jessica Cantlie said it was “frustrating” that contact with her family has stopped.

“It is not true to say that there has been no attempt to engage with IS. It is simply not accurate,” she said.

“This is frustrating for all parties, including those who are trying to assist us. We had previously been in contact through a channel started by you, but then this stopped for reasons best known to you.

” Sadly, like the families of David Haines and Alan Henning before they were killed, our efforts at re-opening dialogue continue to be ignored by those holding John.

“We strongly challenge those holding John to return to your previously opened channel, to which we continue to send messages and await your response so that in keeping with everyone’s wishes, we can restart dialogue.

“We implore IS to reinitiate direct contact.”

Ms Cantlie’s statement referred to her father, Paul, who himself pleaded with his son’s captors from his hospital bed earlier this month.

“I am talking on behalf of the head of the Cantlie family,” she said.

“My father, Paul, is terminally ill and incapacitated.”

Referring to her brother’s appearance in the videos and article, Ms Cantlie said his “words are powerful and have huge resonance”.

Published: Monday 13th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search