Cleared Gambaccini returns to radio

p4009UK-News-10-1

Published: Tuesday 21st October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Presenter Paul Gambaccini is to return to the airwaves next month following a year away from broadcasting following his arrest for historic sex crimes.

He was told last week that he would face no further action following his arrest as part of the high profile investigation Operation Yewtree in October 2013.

Shortly afterwards Gambaccini described being “falsely accused” as “12 months of trauma”, but assured his listeners he would be “back at work soon”.

The BBC today confirmed he would return in November.

In a statement it said: “Paul will return to his usual BBC Radio 2 show – presenting America’s Greatest Hits – from Saturday November 15 and his role presenting Counterpoint on BBC Radio 4, covering the semi-finals and the final of this year’s competition, to be broadcast from Monday November 24.”

Gambaccini was held over allegations dating back to the early 1980s.

His lawyers had accused police of leaving him in limbo without explanation.

In a statement after he was informed there would be no action, he said he would decline interviews about his experience because it would “trivialise” his ordeal.

“I will never trivialise the 12 months of trauma to which I have been unjustly subjected,” he said.

Gambaccini, who has been a fixture on UK radio for decades, stepped down from his shows shortly after his arrest.

Operation Yewtree was established as a result of abuse allegations against the late DJ Jimmy Savile.

Ten people, including comedians Jim Davidson and Freddie Starr, have been told they will face no further action after being questioned as part of the investigation.

Three have been convicted – performer Rolf Harris, PR expert Max Clifford and DJ Dave Lee Travis – and former pop star Gary Glitter and ex-radio DJ Chris Denning are due to face trial.

Published: Tuesday 21st October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search