Closures threat to 2,000 Tesco jobs


Published: Wednesday 28th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Around 2,000 Tesco workers discovered their jobs were at risk today after the supermarket giant disclosed the locations of 43 store closures.

Seven superstores and six Homeplus outlets are among the unprofitable shops identified for closure by new chief executive Dave Lewis.

He announced the closure plan earlier this month as part of wider measures designed to revive the group’s fortunes in the wake of a disastrous 2014.

Tesco said that 2,000 staff are expected to be affected by the 43 closures and that it will begin consultations with all those workers affected.

Mr Lewis said: “The decision to close the stores has been exceptionally difficult to take. I recognise it will affect many hard-working colleagues, our customers and local communities.

“Our priority is to explain what this announcement means for our colleagues and, wherever possible, offer them alternative roles with Tesco.”

The superstores are at Bedlington, Chatham, Connswater and Cregagh Road in Belfast, Doncaster, Kirkcaldy and Wrexham Dodds Lane.

The Homeplus shops to shut are at Bristol Cribbs Causeway, Chelmsford, Chester, Edinburgh, Southampton and Staines.

Tesco Metro shops set for closure are at Bicester, Bootle, Caerphilly, Crossgates, Devizes, Grangemouth, Mexborough, Morecambe, Ormskirk, Runcorn, Smethwick and Woodseats.

The company has also identified 18 smaller Express convenience stores for closure. They are at Bearwood; Belvedere; Church Street, Ballymena; Heaton Chapel; Heybridge, Essex; Houghton Regis; Liverpool Kensington; Longbridge Road, Barking; Northfield, Birmingham; Raymouth Lane, Worksop; Sheffield Manor; South Tottenham High Road; Tredegar; Troon; Walsall Wood; Wealdstone; Whitley Bay; and York Road, Hartlepool.

Published: Wednesday 28th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search