Coastguard calls off search for man

p21934UK-News-8-1

Published: Sunday 1st February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

The coastguard has called off the search for a man who is missing at sea after he was caught by a large wave as he spread ashes.

The 51-year-old was last seen on Saturday at Port William on the north Cornwall coast.

Two other members of the group he was with went into the sea in an attempt to rescue him but were unsuccessful.

A Maritime & Coastguard Agency spokesman said: ” The search, coordinated by Falmouth Coastguard, for the man who was washed into the sea from the north Cornwall coast has now finished, although sadly no sign has been found of him.

“Coastguard teams from Port Isaac and Boscastle have been carrying out a shoreline search this morning.”

Falmouth Coastguard scrambled a search and rescue helicopter from RAF Chivenor.

The coastguard rescue teams from Boscastle and Port Isaac carried out a search and a request was made for the Padstow RNLI Lifeboat to launch .

Neil Oliver, Falmouth Coastguard watch manager, last night said that conditions had been unfavourable due to gale force winds and rough seas.

A Devon and Cornwall Police spokesman said that officers were called at about 5pm yesterday to reports that a male had fallen into the sea at Tintagel, North Cornwall.

The spokesman said: “At the time he was spreading ashes when a large wave washed him into the sea.

“Despite treacherous conditions with gale force winds and heavy seas, two other members of the group that he was with went into the sea in an attempt to rescue him but were unsuccessful.

“The two members of the group who attempted the rescue managed to get ashore safely. The male who was swept into the sea remains missing.”

Published: Sunday 1st February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search