Crash teenagers’ funerals confirmed

Published: Monday 16th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Funeral details for three teenagers killed a horrific road crash have been announced.

Rhodri Miller, Corey Price and Alesha O’Connor, all aged 17, died in the crash near Storey Arms, Brecon, earlier this month.

The smash also claimed the life of pensioner Margaret Challis, 68, and left three others seriously injured.

It has been confirmed the teenagers’ funerals will be held within a week of each other.

Alesha O’Connor’s will be held at St Helen’s RC Church in Barry on March 20, and Rhodri Miller’s the following day at St Cadoc’s Church, Cadoxton. Corey Price’s funeral will be held on March 25, at St Mary’s, Barry.

The fatal smash happened on the A470 and involved two vehicles – a black Volkswagen Golf estate and a green hatchback Volkswagen Golf.

Police believe the green VW was “travelling in convoy” with a number of vehicles at the time – with new driver Rhodri Miller behind the wheel and promising young footballer Corey Price and Alesha O’Connor as his passengers.

The quadruple tragedy prompted an outpouring of grief in Barry with dozens of floral tributes being laid at Ysgol Morgannwg, where Corey and Rhodri went to school, as well as around 1,000 people attending a memorial service in the town.

Rhodri’s parents described him as a bright, talented 17-year-old who had so much to live for.

In a statement they said: “He was a very popular boy inside and outside of school. He loved his football, was a season ticket holder for Cardiff City Football Club, and loved going to the gym. He will be very sadly missed by family and friends, and all who knew him.”

Alesha’s parents Paul and Sharon said she was a “kind loving child, a much loved baby sister and our beautiful princess”. They described her as the perfect daughter and friend and said her death had left a “massive void”.

“Alesha was beautiful, intelligent and artistic and had her whole life ahead of her,” they added.

Corey’s family said they were “devastated” by his death. In a statement they said: “No words can explain how we are feeling but we are truly grateful for the support of our family and friends at this tragic time.”

The family of Mrs Challis said her death was particularly hard to come to terms with given that she had successfully been treated for a brain tumour.

Details of her funeral have yet to be announced.

In the meantime, South Wales Police is continuing its investigation.

Seven teenage boys were initially arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving in the aftermath. All were released on bail pending further inquiries.

Published: Monday 16th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search