Eurotunnel warns of more delays


Published: Monday 19th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Eurostar has said it plans a full service today, but Channel Tunnel operator Eurotunnel has warned of delays dragging into a third successive day.

Thousands of passengers were left stranded by a lorry fire on a train in the tunnel on Saturday and then a power supply problem yesterday saw 11 trains cancelled on the service as people were trying to restart their journeys.

Eurotunnel was planning engineering work overnight to put “more sections of the tunnel back into service” after only one of the two train tunnels was left operational after the fire.

But the firm has now said there are delays of up to 90 minutes on its France-bound Le Shuttle service for cars and coaches as work continues.

It said: “Our passenger service is currently operating with some timetable disruption, this is due to an incident in the Tunnel which is in the process of being resolved. There is a waiting time of approximately 90 minutes on the terminal.

“We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this will cause to your journey.

“For customers travelling today via our French Terminal o ur passenger service is currently operating to schedule with up to one departure per hour. We wish you a pleasant crossing with Eurotunnel Le Shuttle.”

Eurostar apologised to passengers yesterday after some took to Twitter to complain of waits of up to nine hours on its telephone booking system, having been told to use it to reorganised their journey.

A spokeswoman said: “Eurostar plans to run a full service and passengers are advised to check-in as normal.

“As Eurotunnel will not be completely operational Eurostar services may be subject to delays of up to about 30 minutes.”

The further delays will be unwelcome news for travellers, and yesterday passengers aired their frustration on Twitter at the time it took to rebook tickets.

One user, Esme Caldwell, from London, tweeted that she had been on hold for nine hours.

In response to a company tweet asking if she had the correct number, she replied: “Yes I called 03432 186 186 at 8am. It’s playing the music and the hold message. Still on hold. It’s been 9 hours. Please call me.”

Published: Monday 19th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search