Former Tory MP Proctor retires


Published: Wednesday 25th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Former Conservative MP Harvey Proctor has taken immediate retirement as private secretary to the Duke of Rutland.

Mr Proctor – who represented Basildon in Essex from 1979 to 1983 and Billericay from 1983 to 1987 – said his decision to retire comes after 14 years at the 16,000-acre Belvoir Castle in Leicestershire.

Earlier this month, Mr Proctor’s home within the castle grounds was searched by police officers from Operation Midland investigating historic allegations of child sex abuse.

Operation Midland was launched by the Met last November following allegations that boys were sexually abused by a VIP paedophile ring centred around Westminster more than 30 years ago. There were claims that sex parties involving boys below the age of consent were held at the exclusive Dolphin Square apartment block near the Houses of Parliament.

Mr Proctor – who left Parliament in 1987 after pleading guilty to acts of gross indecency – has previously said he knew nothing about a VIP paedophile ring alleged to have existed at Westminster during the 1970s and 1980s, or allegations that three boys linked to the abuse were murdered.

Mr Proctor also told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme earlier this month that he was keen to be interviewed by police as soon as possible to clear his name.

In a statement released by Belvoir Castle announcing his retirement, Mr Proctor said: “I have had an enjoyable 14 years working at Belvoir Castle and I thank the Duke and Duchess and all with whom I have worked for their kindness and assistance over these years.

“I have decided to retire from my post as private secretary and this is with the blessing of the Duke and Duchess.”

Published: Wednesday 25th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search