Fourth Portsmouth jihadist ‘killed’

p4990UK-News-2-1

Published: Saturday 25th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

A fourth jihadist fighter from the same UK city has been killed in Syria, it was reported today.

He was said to be Mehdi Hassan, 19, from Portsmouth, Hampshire, who travelled to the country with a group of four other men in October last year.

A photo of his body emerged on Twitter on Friday and his family confirmed earlier to their local mosque they had received news of his death, the BBC reported.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “We are aware of reports of the death of a British national in Syria.

“The UK has advised for some time against all travel to Syria, where all UK consular services are suspended. As we do not have any representation in Syria, it is extremely difficult to get any confirmation of deaths or injuries and our options for supporting British nationals there are extremely limited.”

It emerged on Tuesday that a third Portsmouth man, Manunur Roshid, had been killed.

The 24-year-old was understood to have joined up with fighters from the Islamic State (IS). Two of his companions, Ifthekar Jaman, 23, and Muhammad Humidur Rahman, 25, had already died.

Chairman of the Portsmouth Jami Mosque, Abdul Jalil, told the BBC: “It has been confirmed with the family that he has died. Right now they are very upset.

“I am saddened and again shocked for the community about this news.”

He said on Tuesday: ”We are very worried about this. The imam will speak about this at the mosque on Friday, telling people not to go to Syria. We are doing everything we can, we are speaking with the council, the crime prevention team. We are handing out leaflets about what is happening there.”

Published: Saturday 25th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search