Gazza: Booze binge was just a blip

p9820UK-News-4-1

Published: Monday 24th November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Troubled former England footballer Paul Gascoigne has said he felt “victimised” by doctors who sectioned him following a recent drinking binge.

The former Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United star was kept in hospital for around five days last month because doctors wanted him to rest after police were called to his home in Poole, Dorset, and escorted him to hospital in the early hours of the morning.

Gascoigne, 47, told The Sun he felt he had not done enough to justify being sectioned and that “the only person who can save me is me”.

“I was doing well, but every day was like Groundhog Day – doing the same thing – and I started drinking again. I was going to the gym, going shopping then going home. I just had a little blip. I messed up. But when that happens to me the whole world sees it,” he said.

“I do feel victimised about the way I was treated because I hadn’t done anything wrong to end up in there. The doctor said he had to section me so I got some rest. He sectioned me so I couldn’t do a runner.

“I benefited from the rest – and they let me go. I worked out that I have drunk for only one year in total out of the last 18 and that is why I am OK.”

Friends and his former club rallied round the star upon hearing the news at the time.

A spokesman for Spurs said: “We are aware of the situation with Paul and continue to offer our support.”

His close friend and former Spurs team-mate Gary Mabbutt added: “Paul hasn’t been well for the past couple of weeks, he wants to get better and he’s asked for help. He is being looked after very well – he has got a lot of support around him.”

Published: Monday 24th November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search