Hammond’s vow on Iran nuclear deal

p30794UK-News-1-1

Published: Saturday 21st March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Europe and the United States will not do a “bad” nuclear deal with Iran, Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond vowed today.

He was speaking after talks involving his counterparts from France and Germany and US Secretary of State John Kerry at Heathrow.

The discussions come between talks with Iran in Lausanne over its nuclear programme.

Iranian President Hassan Rohani has said “achieving a deal is possible” by the March 31 target date for a preliminary accord that is meant to lead to a final deal by the end of June.

It would scale back Tehran’s nuclear programmes in exchange for sanctions relief.

But Mr Hammond struck a cautious note in briefing the media after the two and a half hour talks at the airport.

Flanked by Mr Kerry, French foreign minister Laurent Fabius, German foreign minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, and EU High Representative Federica Mogherini , Mr Hammond said they had agreed that significant progress had been made in some areas, but there were others where there was no agreement.

Mr Hammond said: “Now is the time for Iran to take difficult decisions.

“We reaffirmed that we are all equally committed to finding a solution that ensures that Iran’s nuclear programme remains exclusively peaceful in line with its stated commitment.

“Any solution must be comprehensive, durable and verifiable. None of our countries can subscribe to a deal that does not meet those terms.

“We will not do a bad deal which does not meet our red lines.”

Published: Saturday 21st March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search