IS releases new hostage video


Published: Friday 21st November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

A new video featuring British hostage John Cantlie been released by Islamic State (IS).

The footage is the sixth “episode” in a series titled Lend Me Your Ears and follows a similar pattern to previous instalments, with Mr Cantlie wearing an orange jumpsuit and delivering an apparently scripted message from behind a desk.

The clip, which lasts for almost nine minutes, opens with the 43-year-old photojournalist giving an account of what he claims was a failed rescue attempt by American forces in July.

He says: “In this programme I will tell you about a failed raid to rescue us and how it feels to be left for dead by your own government.”

Mr Cantlie goes on to claim that the Americans staged an “incredibly complex, risky and expensive” attempt to rescue hostages in July.

He said: “The raid involved two dozen Delta Force commandos, several Black Hawk helicopters, gunships, Predator drones, F18 Hornet Jets and refuelling aircraft.

“It took weeks of rehearsals and must have cost tens of millions to perform – but we weren’t there.

“The Islamic State, anticipating such a move, just put us into cars and moved us to another prison days beforehand.”

Britain and America are accused of taking military action rather than negotiating the release of hostages through options such as ransom payments.

“We were left to die. It’s the worst feeling in the world being left behind like that,” Mr Cantlie says.

Towards the end of the video, he says: “I will continue to speak out against this military action … for as long as the mujahideen allow me to live.”

In total it is the seventh propaganda video featuring Mr Cantlie produced by IS. Last month the group released footage purporting to show him in the embattled Syrian city of Kobani.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “We are aware of a further video and are analysing its contents.”

Mr Cantlie’s father Paul, 80, died from complications following pneumonia last month.

His sister, Jessica Cantlie, has previously appealed for “direct contact” with the militants holding him.

Since August, IS has filmed and posted online the deaths of four Western hostages.

UK aid workers Alan Henning and David Haines and American journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff were beheaded on camera by the jihadi organisation, which is also known as Isis or Isil.

Published: Friday 21st November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search