Judge to rule on banning orders


Published: Monday 17th November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

A High Court judge is today due to consider making long-term orders barring a number of men from approaching girls after social workers and police raised concerns about the welfare of a vulnerable teenager who is in local authority care.

Last month Mr Justice Keehan imposed temporary orders against several men following the launch of civil court litigation by social services bosses in Birmingham, who have responsibility for the vulnerable teenage girl.

He is expected to consider making those orders – which bar the men from contacting, approaching or following the vulnerable teenager and from approaching ”any female under 18”, with whom they are not personally associated, in public places – long term after analysing more evidence at family court hearings scheduled to take place in London today.

The cases of six men are listed for analysis at public hearings in the Family Division of the High Court.

Mr Justice Keehan, who in October heard evidence at public family court hearings in Birmingham, made temporary orders after being told how the teenage girl who was the focus of concern had been found at a hotel with different men at different times.

Evidence had been outlined by lawyers representing Birmingham City Council, who said police inquiries were ongoing.

Most of the men have disputed the need for injunctions and deny wrongdoing.

One complained that his arrest had been unfair, when he appeared at a court hearing in Birmingham.

He said people thought ”that is what Asians are doing” because of ”what goes in the news”.

Mr Justice Keehan has ruled the men cannot be identified.

But he has indicated that he might reveal identities if long-term injunctions are imposed.

Published: Monday 17th November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search