Judges orders runaway into care

p22365UK-News-10-1

Published: Wednesday 4th February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

A teenage girl who ran away from home more than 40 times in six months and became involved in drugs and crime should be taken into local authority care, a family court judge has ruled.

Judge Sarah Singleton was told that the youngster – now 16 – had put herself at risk of sexual assault and exploitation and had associated with men known to pose a “sexual risk” to children.

The youngster’s family had been seriously concerned about her “conduct and personality” since an early age, said the judge.

And her behaviour had become “markedly worse” when she reached adolescence.

Detail of the case has emerged in a ruling by the judge following a hearing at a family court in Lancaster.

“She frequently absconded from home (43 times between July 2012 and January 2013),” said the judge in her written ruling.

“She committed offences including violent offences.

“She abused drugs and alcohol.

“She put herself at risk of sexual assault and exploitation and was believed to be spending time in the company of men known to be a sexual risk to children.”

The youngster had been placed in a specialist unit – but had attacked carers and escorts there – then moved into secure accommodation.

Specialists thought that she was not showing signs of acute mental illness but could be suffering from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

Judge Singleton said she had made a final care order following an application by social services officials.

She did not identify the youngster or the local authority which had applied for care orders.

And she did not say where the teenager was currently being housed.

Published: Wednesday 4th February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search