‘Killer planned to travel to UK’

p35117UK-News-9-1

Published: Friday 17th April 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

A man who French authorities claim confessed to kidnapping and killing a nine-year-old girl had reportedly planned to travel to the UK.

The 38-year-old Polish man admitted to killing the girl, named only as Chloe, who was found in woodland in the northern town of Calais on Wednesday, prosecutor Jean-Pierre Valensi said.

He said the man, named in reports as Zbigniew Huminski, confessed to the killing yesterday, saying he arrived in France a day earlier and planned to travel to England to visit his sister.

Mr Valensi said the man, who had past convictions and was supposed to have been expelled from France, was intoxicated at the time of the attack, and that he violently abducted the girl after she sprayed a water pistol at him while playing in the park.

He threw her into his car before assaulting and killing her, he added. Her body showed that she had been strangled and sexually assaulted.

While France was unable to force the man out of the country, despite past convictions for extortion with violence, aggravated theft and sequestration, he was handed over to Polish authorities last year on the basis of a European arrest warrant that had been issued for a robbery in his home country.

Authorities in France are now trying to establish how he was able to return.

Justice minister Christiane Taubira called for a “complete, precise, rapid” investigation into the matter.

French prime minister Manuel Valls said: “What we owe the family is the entire truth.”

Thousands of people marched through Calais yesterday to show their solidarity with Chloe’s family and their outrage at the killing.

Published: Friday 17th April 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search